Informed Israel sources asserted today that the confiscation by United Arab Republic authorities of the Israel cargo of the Danish freighter, Inge Toft, would not deter new efforts to send cargoes through the Suez Canal. The sources said Israel was not giving up its rights to peaceful passage through the waterway.
They also denied reports that agreement had been reached between Israel and the ship’s Danish owners to permit the unloading of the cargo at Port Said, where the ship has been detained since last May 21, Unloading began yesterday.
It was understood that Israel wanted the ship to remain at Port Said at least until United Nations Secretary General Dag Hammarskjold reported on his most recent meeting on the question with UAR President Nasser and until Israel, as well as the UN Secretariat, could decide on the next steps.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.