Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said his plan to withdraw from the Gaza Strip is on track despite increasing Gaza Strip violence. “There is no change to the disengagement plan,” Sharon told the Israeli daily Ma’ariv on Sunday. Asked about the reoccupation by Israeli forces of much of northern Gaza following a Palestinian rocket strike that killed two Israeli toddlers last week, Sharon said it was a temporary measure to ensure the planned withdrawal from Gaza next year is not carried out under fire.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.