Work began today on the largest archaeological excavation project thus far attempted in Israel. The diggings, under the direction of Yigal Yadin, former Chief of Staff of Israel’s Army and one of the country’s most distinguished archaeologists, are located at Hatzor, in the Upper Galilee.
The expedition has been financed by contributions from the Israel Government the Palestine Jewish Colonization Association and the Anglo-Israel Exporation Committee and is named the James de Rothschild Archaeological Expedition. Hatzor was first identified as the site of a Biblical town last year.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.