A gift of $500,000, toward the building fund of $2, 500, 000 was given this weekend to the 92nd Street YM-YWHA by the Henry Kaufman Foundation. In addition, the institution received $600,000 toward the new building as a result of a merger with the Clara de Hirsch Residence Board, which has operated a residence for immigrant girls on New York’s upper East Side.
The new structure, to adjoin the present “Y,” will be a 12-story residence hall which will accommodate 200 young women and enable the older building to house more men. The older structure is a landmark among New York’s intellectual circles. In addition to housing a full YW-YMHA program, its Theresa Kaufman Auditorium is headquarters for many recitals and readings by outstanding musicians, poets and other creative artists.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.