Mrs, Rosario Castellanos, the Ambassador to Israel from Mexico, died here last night as the result of an electric shock from a malfunctioning table lamp. According to reports, she apparently touched a table lamp at her home in Herzliyah and was electrocuted. She was rushed immediately to the Meyer Hospital in nearby Kfar Saba where she died an hour later. Preliminary investigations indicated that the lamp wirings were unproperly or insufficiently insulated.
Mrs. Castellanos, a famous journalist and writer, had served in Israel for the past three years. She was well respected by her colleagues in the diplomatic corps and among the Israelis with whom she came into contact. One of her books was translated into Hebrew, the proceeds of which went to charity in Israel. The Israeli Foreign Ministry has notified the Mexican government of the Ambassador’s death and is making preparation for the transfer of the body to Mexico City.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.