The World Monuments Fund is providing grants to preserve Jewish buildings in east-central Europe.
Grants totaling $235,000 will aid in the repair, maintenance or preservation of three synagogues and one former Yeshiva.
The Choral Synagogue, built in 1903 and the only functioning synagogue in Vilnius, Lithuania, was awarded $70,000. The elegant Art Nouveau synagogue in Subotica, Serbia, which has been undergoing sporadic renovation for many years, was awarded $75,000.
The fortress-like, 17th-century synagogue in Zamosc, Poland, which was restituted recently to Jewish ownership after long being used as a library, received $75,000.
In addition, the fund granted $15,000 for assessing conditions at and conservation planning for the former Volozin Yeshiva building in Belarus. Founded in 1803, the yeshiva was considered the progenitor of the yeshiva system in Eastern Europe.
The grants were presented through the fund’s annual Jewish Heritage Program awards.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.