A cornerstone for a women students’ residence on the new campus of the Hebrew University was laid today at a ceremony attended by Mrs. Itzhak Ben Zvi, Israel’s First Lady, United States Ambassador Edward B. Lawson, University officials and a delegation from the Women’s League for Israel, a non-partisan American group which will meet the construction costs of the residence.
The residence, with facilities for 180 women, will include a dormitory, study halls, recreation rooms, a cafeteria and a snack bar. It is the first such building for women students at the University. Mrs. Ben Zvi and Ambassador Lawson, as well as University officials, praised the League for undertaking this project, and the Ambassador expressed his “pride” in the work of these American women. The League has already erected five hostels for women in various parts of Israel.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.