Search JTA's historical archive dating back to 1923

United Hias Offers Services, Financial Aid to Jews Seeking to Leave Poland

May 1, 1968
See Original Daily Bulletin From This Date

Jews who leave Poland for resettlement in Western countries can turn to United HIAS Service for financial and technical assistance. Gaynor I. Jacobson, its executive vice president said today. He announced that United HIAS was prepared to assume, if necessary, responsibility for travel arrangements, processing expenses and auxiliary costs for Polish Jewish families who wish to rejoin their relatives in the United States, Canada, Brazil, Australia or other Western countries.

“Many of the 30,000 Jews left in Poland — the pitiful remnant of the pre-war Jewish community of 3-1/2 million — want desperately to be reunited with their families. We trust that the Polish government will allow them to leave,” Mr. Jacobson said. He pointed out that if a Polish applicant is able to obtain a travel document and exit permit, then immigration to the United States is possible.

“United HIAS urges U.S. relatives of Jews in Poland to communicate immediately either with our office or with one of our cooperating resettlement agencies to discuss immigration plans and obtain necessary technical assistance. Relatives — mainly in the United States — of about 1,500 Jews in Poland have already turned to United HIAS to assist in effecting family reunion,” Mr. Jacobson said.

Recommended from JTA