Warsaw (Nov. 6)
The Curatorium of the Baron de Hirsch Galician Foundation has just been held here at the Ministry of Education. The Foundation was established by Baron de Hirsch in 1889 for the maintenance of Jewish schools in Galicia and Bukowina, then parts of the Austrian Empire, with its seat in Vienna. The war having brought about the transference of Galicia to Poland there has long been a demand on the part of the Polish Jews that the seat of the Foundation should be transferred to Warsaw. This has now been done.
Dr. Karsky, Director of the Department of Public Worship in the Ministry of Education, and Dr. Zwiklinsky, former Minister of Education, took part in the discussion. It was decided to restart the work of the Foundation, to transfer the property of the Fund from Vienna to Warsaw, to cancel the previous decision to sell the school, and too open negotiations with the Roumanian Government with regard to that part of the Foundation which applies to Bukowina, now a part of Roumania. A special commission was appointed, consisting of Messrs. Stanislav Nathansohn of Warsaw, Dr. Raphael Landau of Cracow, Dr. Emil Parnes of Lemberg, and Dr. S. Ascher of Vienna.
The Jewish Press of Poland expresses dissatsisfaction that the official representatives of Polish Jewry – the Jewish Deputies and Senators – were not invited to the meeting.