Chicago, Ill (Sep. 23)
The gift of $1,000,000 by Max Epstein, for the erection of an art building, was announced by President Robert Maynard Hutchins of the University of Chicago.
Mr. Epstein, who came to Chicago in 1891 with little more capital than an A.B. from the College of the City of New York, rising to the chairmanship of the board of directors of the General American Tank Car corporation, gave $225,000 to the University three years ago for the creation of the Max Epstein Dispensary, now a part of the medical school. Branches of this clinic are being established in the children’s hospital on the campus and the Chicago Lying-In hospital, to which Mr. and Mrs. Epstein gave $100,000. He recently established a $50,000 loan fund at the Harvard Law school.
Mr. Epstein is known as a collector of rare paintings.
The $1,000,000 gift is to be spent on a building which will be located near the new chapel.