Jerusalem Quiet, but Rest of Palestine Remains Turbulent
Menu JTA Search

Jerusalem Quiet, but Rest of Palestine Remains Turbulent

Download PDF for this date

While Arabs in the Holy City gave every indication of desiring to resume peaceful relations with their Jewish neighbors, their coreligionists in other parts of the country did not appear today to share their desires.

With unrest in Palestine already in its ninth week and the fatalities soaring close to 100, new disturbances were reported in Jaffa, Haifa, Acre and several Jewish colonies.

Government forces battled Arab rebels with machine guns on a half-mile front at Kfar Saba today, finally forcing the invaders to retreat after a half-hour skirmish.

Police and troops at Nablus and Tulkarem were ordered to continue wearing steel-helmets on duty. Soldiers numbering 800 were stationed at Nablus to reinforce British police. Jewish police on Tel Aviv boundaries were unexpectedly replaced by British guards.

In the Arab city of Jaffa, where the anti-Jewish and anti-Government warfare had its inception on April 19, there occurred today, for what is believed to be the first time, a serious clash between Arab Moslems and Arab Christians. Two persons were wounded, one of them seriously.

A communique reports that a bomb thrown near the Jaffa Gate in the Old City this morning was intended for Jewish gathering. No arrests were made. The comb failed to explode.

Police and soldiers continued to be the targets for Arab snipers. Bombs were thrown at a Jewish hotel in Haifa. Two Arabs were arrested, one of whom was caught red-handed with a bomb.

Police used Lewis machine guns to rout Arab snipers who fired on the police station at Acre. Shooting was also reported at Kfar Saba, Beit Vagan and at the Jewish sanatorium in Beth Kerem, a suburb of Jerusalem.

Two Jewish drivers were slightly wounded when their truck was fired on along the Haifa-Jenin road.

A lorry operated by the Palestine Electric Corporation was ambushed between Jaffa and Ramleh, a police convoy routing the attackers. There were no casualties.

A Jewish bus between Jaffa and Jerusalem was similarly attacked. One hundred dunams of a Jewish grove near Nathania were destroyed, the Arab watchman and his brother having been tied, beaten and their hut burned.

While these incidents of further violence were being reported, Jewish streets of Jerusalem for the first time since the disturbances broke out were being used by many Arabs dressed in their colorful native garb, engaged in peaceful negotiations with Jews.

Haboker, Hebrew daily, reported that the Arab general strike would be concluded after expected demonstrations Wednesday to mark the hanging of three Arabs during the 1929 anti-Jewish disorders.

Representatives of the Jewish press were invited to a conference with the Government and praised for their attitude. They were asked to prevent inaccuracies.

Curfew passes in Jaffa were withdrawn today and will be replaced by new permits to be given out only to a few dozen persons.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund