ZURICH (Aug. 25)
The Board of Governors of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, concluding a three-day session today, approved a $435,000 budget for the year 1936-37 and announced establishment of four new departments.
Dr. Nathan Ratnoff, of New York, president of the American Jewish Physicians Committee, was named liaison representative between the university and Hadassah, American women’s Zionist organization, in connection with the agreement to establish jointly a hospital and medical centre on Mount Scopus, Jerusalem.
The new departments are an Institute of Jewish Studies, Jewish History and Sociology; Archaeology, Arabic Language and Literature, and the Science of Semitic Languages.
The board accepted an offer to establish a chair in English Literature in memory of Sir Moses Montefiore, noted Jewish leader, who died in England in 1885.
In addition, the board authorized establishment of a chair of Theoretical Pedagogy and endorsed in principle the establishment of a chair of Talmudic law.
Plans were worked out for expansion of the Natural Science Department, including augmenting the facilities of the Physics and Chemistry divisions.
The importance of the university as an educational medium for refugee Jews emigrating to Palestine was emphasized by speakers at a reception last night given by the Swiss Friends of the Hebrew University.
Among the speakers were Zalman Schocken, treasurer of the Board of Governors; Dr. Hugo Bergmann, rector of the university, and A. H. Frankel, acting dean of the Faculty of Natural Sciences.