HONG KONG (Oct. 17)
The Shanghai Jewish Club, valued at $1,000,000 has been leased to a Chinese institution because the Jewish community can no longer raise the high taxes and maintenance costs required to operate the club, it was revealed here today by Jews from Shanghai.
The property was leased after the Israel Government, which owns the property, advised the community to do so. The property was presented to the Israel Government last May when Club members decided that it was the safest way of guaranteeing that the club remain Jewish property. It was purchased by some 800 Jews in 1945 from an individual.
The club grounds include a vast compound and garden and a specious building in which is a hall which seats 800. The club membership has shrunk from the original 800 to 80. The Palant, Jewish immigration agency, and other Jewish communal groups which had offices in the building have moved.