BERLIN (Dec. 16)
The 125th anniversary of a well-known German publishing house established by a Berlin “melamed”–a teacher who maintained a private Hebrew school–is being celebrated here this week. It was founded in 1828 by Raphael Friedlander and still carries the name of R. Friedlander and Son. It specializes in natural history and the exact sciences.
Dr. Julius Friedlander, son of the founder, was a professor of mathematics at American colleges in 1852-53 and later became the major supplier of German publications in the natural sciences for Harvard, Yale and the Astor Library in New York. He also launched the bibliographical journal “Naturae Novitates. “
Although J. R. Loewe and other Jewish partners were associated with the business until the Hitler period, it has not been in the hands of the Friedlander family for a long time. In 1941 the “Jewish” name of the firm had to be abandoned, only to be re-adopted four years later, after the Nazi collapse.