NEW YORK (Jun. 29)
The publication of a report tracing the three-century growth of the philanthropic activities of the Jewish community of New York City from earliest colonial times, and the rise of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of New York during the first half of the 20th century was announced today by Salim L. Lewis, president of the Federation.
Recounting the story of how the first Jewish settlers fleeing persecution from Brazil in 1650 sold the personal belongings of rich and poor alike to pay the passage of the entire refugee band, the report comments that Federation is a modern continuation of the same kind of community responsibility that brought the first Jewish settlers to New York. The major part of the report contains a listing and history of the individual affiliated agencies, and a description of their services and facilities.