PARIS (Oct. 5)
None of the Frenchmen repatriated from Egypt after the Sinai campaign of 1956, most of whom are Jews, have yet received “the least bit of the assets” they-left behind, even when these assets were not dissipated by Egyptian takeover managements, it was reported here today.
The report was made by the Superior Council of Frenchmen Abroad at its 13th session. The Council is a consultative group which advises the French Government on problems affecting Frenchmen in overseas countries. A. de Carbonnel, secretary general of the French Ministry for Foreign Affairs, presided.
The report, which made it clear that the return of Jews to Egypt is prohibited by the United Arab Republic, said that they therefore were unable to return to Egypt to make arrangements for their abandoned property. There are about 800 such French Jews. The Council was expected to make recommendations to ease these problems for consideration by the French Foreign Ministry “in the context of French-Egyptian relations,” a spokesman for the Ministry said. France and the United Arab Republic-last year reached an agreement on the disposition of and indemnification for properties of Frenchmen who had to leave Egypt.
It was also reported here today that the UAR has set October 29 as the final date for filing of applications for desequestration of properties taken over by the Egyptian Government after the Sinai campaign.