JERUSALEM (Aug. 10)
The Harry S. Truman Center for the Advancement of Peace will be built on the Mount Scopus Hebrew University campus site, as the former President had wanted. Samuel Rothberg, chairman of the board of the American Friends of the Hebrew University, and Louis Boyar, a member of the university’s board of governors, announced here today.
When the project was first announced in Independence, Missouri, the former President’s birthplace, in January, 1966, by the American Friends, the Mount Scopus site was in an enclave surrounded by Jordanian territory since the 1948 war. The original plans therefore called for establishment of the Center on the new Hebrew University campus in new Jerusalem. A dedication ceremony was held there on July 11, 1966.
Capture of the Old City and the West Bank in the June war made it feasible to plan the Center on Mount Scopus. A total of $3,600,000 for the center was subscribed by 36 leading American Jews who contributed $100,000 each for the project.