STUTTGART (Aug. 28)
The court here which, for more than 13 weeks had been conducting a trial of war criminals accused of mass murders in German-occupied Poland during the war, announced today that the proceedings will be adjourned to the United States for a week, to hear testimony from witnesses who could not come here to testify. The hearings in the United States, probably in New York, will be held from September 18 to September 25.
Today, on the 93rd day of the trial, an Israeli woman, Mrs. Peppi Burnstein, of Nathanya, testified that one of the defendants, Ernst Apple, had participated in the slaughter of 20 Jews, during the war, at Katowice, Poland. She said her father and a brother were among those slain in that massacre.
Meanwhile, four members of the Hitler SS went on trial at Hagen today on charges of having committed crimes during the war in the concentration camp of Gusen, near the infamous Nazi death factory at Mauthausen, Austria. They are accused of torturing Jewish martyrs to death. The prosecution told the court it expected the trial to last several months.