UNITED STATES (Jun. 17)
Israel has submitted a letter to the Security Council alleging a breach of the cease-fire by Lebanon on Friday. In the letter to this month’s president, Ambassador Arthur J. Goldberg of the United States, Israel said that the Lebanese sent mortar fire against the village of Manara in the Upper Galilee and that Israel returned the fire, in self-defense, silencing the Lebanese positions. The letter cited a June 1 incident in which, Israel alleged, a similar attack had been carried out against the village of Malkiye in the Upper Galilee. Israel did not ask for a Council meeting but only that the letter be circulated among the 15 members.
Lebanon earlier sent a letter to the Council alleging that Israeli troops penetrated its territory Friday and attacked the village of Me’s Eljabal with 30 mortar shells, destroying 10 houses and injuring four persons. “This wanton and unprovoked attack by Israel was not preceded by any firing from Lebanese territory across the Lebanese borders as alleged by Israeli broadcasts; nor was it preceded by any infiltration across those borders,” Lebanon said.