PARIS (May. 19)
Foreign Minister Maurice Schumann said today that Britain and three other nations applying for membership in the European Common Market have approved in principle a draft policy statement on the Middle East drawn up by the six ECC member nations but not yet officially announced. Sehumann said in reply to a question at a press conference that details of the statement haven’t been published in order not to undercut the Jarring peace mission. He said the plan would be forwarded to United Nations Secretary General U Thant. It calls for Israel’s withdrawal to its pre-June, 1967 boundaries, the establishment of demilitarized zones under international supervision on both sides of the border and the option of repatriation or compensation for Palestinian refugees. The policy statement was reported last week to have been accepted unanimously by the six ECC powers. Reports from Israeli sources later claimed that it was supported by France, Belgium and Luxembourg but rejected by West Germany. Holland and Italy.