Menu JTA Search

U.N.: Hezbollah violated Lebanon war cease-fire

WASHINGTON (JTA) — The United Nations said Hezbollah violated the cease-fire ending the 2006 Israel-Hezbollah war in Lebanon.

A Hezbollah arms depot that exploded in southern Lebanon on July 14 was a "serious violation" of U.N. Resolution 1701, U.N. head of peacekeeping operations Alain Le Roy told the U.N. Security Council on July 23, according to news reports.

"A number of indications suggest that the depot belonged to Hezbollah, and in contrast to previous discoveries by UNIFIL and the Lebanese armed forces of weapons and ammunition, that it was not abandoned but rather actively maintained," Le Roy said.

UNIFIL, the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon, is tasked with monitoring the cease-fire and assuring compliance with Resolution 1701, which requires that no Hezbollah militants and arms be present in southern Lebanon.

Le Roy also told the Security Council that Hezbollah personnel were seen at the site the day after the explosion and appeared to be "removing evidence."

He denied that the weapons had been smuggled into the area after the war concluded, stating the type and age of the ammunition appeared to indicate that they had been collected in the location over a period of time.

NEXT STORY