(JTA) — The Ukrainian city of Lviv agreed to remove Jewish headstones being used as pavement.
The grave markers, from cemeteries destroyed by the Nazis during their occupation of Ukraine in the 1940s, will be moved to the only cemetery that was not destroyed during the Holocaust, according to Sprirt24, a Netherlands-based news agency.
The Soviet Red Army used the headstones as pavement, according to Meylakh Sheykhet, Ukraine’s representative in the Union of Councils for Jews in the former Soviet Union, who has lobbied for the headstones’ removal for years.
Sheykhet told Spririt24 that the local market was built by the Soviet authorities in 1947 from Jewish headstones, which were placed horizontally and covered with asphalt.
Viktor Zaharchuk, a local resident, showed the Spirit24 film crew some headstones with Hebrew lettering that were directly placed on the ground as pavement.
The city is considering several designs for a monument at Lviv’s only remaining Jewish cemetery, Spirit24 reported, though it is unclear whether that monument would incorporate the headstones after they are removed.