November 13, 2011 10:13pm
Growing segregation of men and women in the Israeli haredi Orthodox world is part of the larger, long-running battle in haredi society to keep outside influences at bay.
November 13, 2011 1:01pm
With 65 percent of Israel’s haredi Orthodox population unemployed, the challenge of putting this rapidly growing segment of Israel’s population to work has economic and strategic implications for all of Israel.
July 26, 2011 4:34pm
With protesters erecting tent cities, blocking roads and besieging the Knesset, the Israeli government is under pressure to come up with a workable plan to resolve a housing crisis in Israel that has made renting and home-buying unaffordable for many people.
July 22, 2011 2:29pm
The association representing foreign correspondents in Israel condemned what it called “the continued harassment of journalists attending media events at the prime minister’s office,” criticizing strip searches of female reporters.
July 17, 2011 6:50pm
A growing number of independent art spaces in Jerusalem is breathing fresh cultural energy — and even a hipster edge — into the city.
June 20, 2011 8:42pm
Cottage cheese, a national staple in Israel that has seen its price rising steadily, has become the focus of a consumer revolt and a symbol of frustration with the high cost of living in the Jewish state.
June 12, 2011 8:03pm
For doctors and children from developing countries, Holon-based Save a Child’s Heart delivers cardiac care. It’s all due to the brainchild of an American Jewish immigrant to Israel who died climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.
June 6, 2011 7:13pm
With new investments and aid, Israel is beginning to look at Africa as a place of opportunity where it can help the continent develop and boost Israel’s own reputation in the process — as it did in the state’s early years.
May 24, 2011 5:50pm
Ten years after the suicide bombing attack on Tel Aviv’s Dolphinarium disco, which took the lives of 21 teens, Israelis look back at a formative moment for the country’s Russian-speaking immigrant community.
May 23, 2011 11:25am
Israeli protesters demonstrated against President Obama’s recent statements on Israel and the Palestinians in front of the U.S. embassy in Tel Aviv.
- ‘Hot cop’ from Hurricane Irma selfie suspended over anti-Semitic Facebook posts
OpinionWe have seen the future, and it looks Orthodox
- That time Rachel McAdams tried to go undercover as an Orthodox Jew
- Chief Rabbinate telling more and more Israelis they aren’t Jews
- Marc Zuckerberg posts photo giving century-old kiddush cup to daughter
- Israeli soccer official who said he would not sign Arab player resigns
- Liberal Jews picket Paris synagogue hosting Jerusalem chief rabbi
- How Houston’s synagogues are handling the High Holidays after Harvey
- Israeli army goes to war against smoking
- Neo-Nazi group marches through Swedish city in run-up to planned Yom Kippur demonstration
- Netanyahu praises Trump’s defense of Israel as UN General Assembly convenes