June 24, 2009 8:56pm
Bringing radical Jewish settlers under control and enforcing evacuation orders for illegal West Bank outposts has proved a conundrum for successive Israeli governments. Will the new Israeli government be any different?
June 24, 2009 8:51pm
JTA’s Dina Kraft visits Havat Gilad, an illegal Jewish settlement outpost in the West Bank slated for evacuation. Residents there say they have no intention of leaving, and they’ll fight if necessary.
June 24, 2009 8:47pm
Confident they are following the word of God, a small but vocal and increasingly violent constituency of the Jewish settler movement has become the face of radical Jewish nationalism in Israel.
June 16, 2009 6:41pm
Israel advocates, including the Foreign Ministry, have found Israel’s relatively gay-friendly society a good way to sell a more progressive image of Israeli society to the world.
June 2, 2009 8:52pm
While not expected to pass, the proposal of several Knesset bills aimed at limiting public dissent in the Jewish state has sparked fierce debate about what it means that they emerged on the Israeli political horizon at all.
June 2, 2009 7:43pm
In Modiin Illit, one of the fastest-growing Jewish settlements in the West Bank, the “natural growth” that Washington wants halted appears unstoppable.
May 26, 2009 8:59pm
Israel is turning to an unlikely group of foot soldiers for Israel advocacy: the descendants of Spanish and Portuguese Crypto-Jews who are looking to renew their ties to the Jewish people.
May 18, 2009 9:22pm
The backing for a new social venture fund to improve employment and educational opportunities for Arab Israelis comes from a seemingly unlikely source: American Jews.
May 13, 2009 1:07am
Some Israelis are a bit jittery as their new prime minister heads to the United States next week for his first White House meeting with President Obama.
May 4, 2009 11:31pm
Christians in Israel are hoping Pope Benedict’s upcoming trip will bring attention to their community, which has something of a splintered identity in the Jewish state.
OpinionWe have seen the future, and it looks Orthodox
- That time Rachel McAdams tried to go undercover as an Orthodox Jew
- How Houston’s synagogues are handling the High Holidays after Harvey
- US campuses are becoming more Israel friendly
- Worried about Jewish pluralism in Israel? So are Israelis.
- Why Obama’s former speechwriter calls him the most Jewish president ever
- Netanyahu says non-Orthodox Jews used Western Wall deal to gain recognition
- Leonard Cohen memorial concert in Montreal to feature Sting, Elvis Costello
- California man sentenced to life in prison for killing Jewish doctor he blamed for botched surgery
- Chabad leaders call for reporting child abuse to secular authorities
- Iran’s president says security for Israel is ‘not possible,’ pleads for nuclear deal