December 5, 2006 10:00am
Public lightings of Chanukah menorahs in the United States create a sense of Jewish pride for many. To others, the displays raise issues of church and state, as well as questions of religious significance.
September 18, 2006 9:00am
Jewish soldiers over the years have marked the High Holidays where they could — in Belgium, Korea, Vietnam and even Saddam Hussein’s palace.
July 27, 2006 9:00am
Depending on sect, Jews mark the saddest day on the religion’s calendar with anything from fasting and mourning to new member brunches and rummage sales.
April 3, 2006 9:00am
Parents and educators have begun to institute activities, commentaries, games and other inventions in order to regain the attention of bored children and indifferent teenagers.
February 8, 2006 10:00am
Ten easy ways to begin greening your synagogue, from the Coalition on the Environment and Jewish Life.
October 16, 2005 9:00am
Sukkot is not about observing the sublime moments. Rather, it’s about dealing with the toilsome, troublesome and tedious exigencies of everyday life.
June 5, 2005 9:00am
A family joins others at the Milken Community High School to ink in a letter of a Torah scroll that was recovered from the Holocaust, remembering Shavuot, when the Torah first was given to the Jewish people.
March 28, 2005 10:00am
The storytelling we do at the seder can also revive thoughts of the stories more recent Jewish exiles tell about leaving the lands where they were born, and how they lived once they got to their new homes and had their own children.
March 6, 2005 10:00am
Although Purim is often thought of a holiday for children, it’s also a great time for older adults to have fun by sharing the holiday’s festive observances.
January 12, 2005 10:00am
On Tu B’Shevat, Jan. 25 this year, Jews celebrate the birthday of the trees; it’s a good time to think how human being and plants need each other.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Russia to return Israeli tank captured by Syria in 1982
- Historic Jewish wedding in Turkey triggers hate speech online
- Argentine ex-minister’s Iran tape admitted as evidence of alleged treason
- CRIF’s new president: French Jews’ situation worst since 1945
- NJ man who fire-bombed rabbi’s home convicted of terrorism
- Vandalism at 3 New England synagogues aims to intimidate community, ADL regional leader says
- Bernie Sanders: Israel has a right to US protection
- Donald Trump: Debating trailing Bernie Sanders would be ‘inappropriate’
- NY Times editor calls out Donald Trump for ignoring supporters’ anti-Semitic tweets
- Donald Trump says he would debate Bernie Sanders for charity
- Bernie Sanders expects ‘consensus’ on Palestinian rights at Democratic convention
- Democrats said to be debating ouster of Wasserman Schultz as party chair