December 5, 2006 10:00am
Public lightings of Chanukah menorahs in the United States create a sense of Jewish pride for many. To others, the displays raise issues of church and state, as well as questions of religious significance.
September 18, 2006 9:00am
Jewish soldiers over the years have marked the High Holidays where they could in Belgium, Korea, Vietnam and even Saddam Hussein’s palace.
July 27, 2006 9:00am
Depending on sect, Jews mark the saddest day on the religion’s calendar with anything from fasting and mourning to new member brunches and rummage sales.
April 3, 2006 9:00am
Parents and educators have begun to institute activities, commentaries, games and other inventions in order to regain the attention of bored children and indifferent teenagers.
February 8, 2006 10:00am
Ten easy ways to begin greening your synagogue, from the Coalition on the Environment and Jewish Life.
October 16, 2005 9:00am
Sukkot is not about observing the sublime moments. Rather, it’s about dealing with the toilsome, troublesome and tedious exigencies of everyday life.
June 5, 2005 9:00am
A family joins others at the Milken Community High School to ink in a letter of a Torah scroll that was recovered from the Holocaust, remembering Shavuot, when the Torah first was given to the Jewish people.
March 28, 2005 10:00am
The storytelling we do at the seder can also revive thoughts of the stories more recent Jewish exiles tell about leaving the lands where they were born, and how they lived once they got to their new homes and had their own children.
March 6, 2005 10:00am
Although Purim is often thought of a holiday for children, it’s also a great time for older adults to have fun by sharing the holiday’s festive observances.
January 12, 2005 10:00am
On Tu B’Shevat, Jan. 25 this year, Jews celebrate the birthday of the trees; it’s a good time to think how human being and plants need each other.
- U.S. authorities almost deport French Jewish Holocaust era scholar
- Bomb threats hit at least 8 JCCs, Jewish day schools across country
- Natalie Portman will not attend Academy Awards due to pregnancy
- Dozens of headstones overturned at Philadelphia Jewish cemetery
- Jewish prankster fools ‘Britain’s Got Talent’ judges with ‘crappy’ rapping rabbi act
- Physicist Mildred Dresselhaus, ‘Queen of Carbon,’ dies at 86
- US authorities almost deport French Jewish Holocaust era scholar
- ADL offers reward for information about Philadelphia Jewish cemetery vandals
- Did Donald Trump and the Jews have a good week?
- Swastika made of feces found at Rhode Island school
- Jewish women’s organization cancels Brazil exhibit after Israeli paintings stolen