July 2, 2013 11:17am
A federation north of Boston has merged with Combined Jewish Philanthropies in an effort to bring financial stability and expanded programs to the region’s Jewish organizations.
July 1, 2013 2:56pm
A census of U.S. day school students in 2008-09 found a decline in non-Orthodox enrollment even as the wider day school population grew 11 percent. Four years later, the situation hasn’t improved.
May 6, 2013 1:26pm
BOSTON (JTA) — Former Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was awarded the John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award. Giffords, who has become an advocate for stricter gun control after being shot in the head in 2011, was recognized for the courage she has demonstrated in pushing for policy changes aimed at reducing gun violence. The ceremony…
March 11, 2013 2:15pm
The seder in 14 rhyming steps and a poetic salute to munching matzah highlight new children’s books for Passover.
March 11, 2013 2:13pm
Francine Hermelin Levite and Edgar Bronfman have been using unique versions of the Passover Haggadah for years. Now the mother of three and the business giant-Jewish philanthropist have decided to publish their versions of the Exodus story.
March 7, 2013 8:01pm
For decades, Marian Marzynski has won critical accolades for his films about the Holocaust and Polish Jewry. Now, in “Never Forget to Lie,” he tells his own story of childhood escape from the Warsaw Ghetto.
February 4, 2013 5:35pm
Two rare Jewish books illustrated by Maurice Sendak were sold at auction days before the posthumous publication of a new book by the author.
January 22, 2013 4:53pm
The Depression-era story of an observant Jewish girl trying to fit in and a Raoul Wallenberg biography were among the choices for Sydney Taylor Book Awards.
November 30, 2012 9:11pm
From kosher comedy to a swinging Mardi Gras version of the “Dreidel” song, a new book and CD compilation explore the intriguing, delightful and sometimes perplexing ways in which American Jews have responded to Christmas.
November 30, 2012 8:03pm
An adventure set on the high seas and two fun-filled books with food and activities are on the list of new Chanukah books this year.
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- South African mohel banned for life for botching bris
- Ex-Maryland woman at center of Jewish divorce controversy remarries without ‘get’
- Israelis were brutalized, castrated at Munich Olympics, widows reveal
- Why Shelly Silver won’t be sharing a prison cell with Willie Rapfogel
- Report: Paris attacks mastermind planned attack on Jews as well
- Polish Jewish leader heads protest against new parliament
- King of Spain honors Sephardic Jews in ceremony recognizing citizenship law
- Rio Jews, evangelicals rally for peace in Israel
- Woman at center of Jewish divorce controversy remarries without ‘get’
- Mark Zuckerberg pledges to donate $45B in Facebook shares over lifetime
- Sean Penn, in Tel Aviv, praises Israeli aid group working in Haiti