Archive

Search JTA's historical archive dating back to 1923

Open Jewish Archeological Museum in Jerusalem

January 31, 1923
See Original Daily Bulletin From This Date
Advertisement

The Jewish Telegraphic Agency (J. C. B.) will be glad to answer inquiries for further information about any of the news items contained in this Bulletin.

The opening to-morrow of the Jewish Archeological Museum in the Tower of David is announced, the principal contents being the antiquities excavated by Dr. Nathum Slouch near Tiberias two years ago. The museum was founded by the Jewish Palestine Exploration Society, and Dr. Slousch, now in New York, appointed Keeper of the museum. The recently discovered antiquities in charge of the society include a seven-branched marble candelabrum of rare beauty, an engraved door of an ark in which Hebrew scrolls of the law were kept, a chair which tradition has it was called Moses’ chair, and several hundred household utensils of bronze and glass, clearly belonging to the pre-christian era.

Recommended from JTA

Advertisement