(Jewish Telegraphic Agency Mail Service)
The Agricultural section of the General Jewish Labor Federation announces the establishment of a special branch to contract for agricultural work in the old type colonies. This new Exchange is to start operations with an initial capital of Â£5,000. Plantation and care of orange groves and orchards will be undertaken by this new Bureau. Ploughing, improvement of land, including the digging up of roots, clearing of ground, harvesting and the vintage of crops, as well as the picking of almonds and olives, will form part of the activities of the new Exchange which will take these works over from associations or individuals in Palestine or absentee owners.
The Agricultural Exchange defines its aim as “penetration into all branches of agricultural work by the Jewish laborer, and the exploitation of all possibilities of agricultural occupations with a view to increasing the immigration and its absorption into the country.” The head office of the new Exchange is in Tel-Aviv and branches have been established in Haifa, Petach-Tikvah, Rehovoth, Zichron Jacob and Chederah.
Registration for the College of Jewish Studies at the Hebrew Institute, Houston, Texas, was opened.
Courses are given for Jewish men and women of Houston.
The courses include instruction in Hebrew, Biblical and Post-Biblical history and religion.
A handbook for Jewish youth was issued by Young Judaea. The handbook contains an English-Jewish calender a resume of important events in Jewish history and dates and descriptions of Jewish holidays.
The first general conference of New York Zionists will be held Sunday, October 24th, 1926 at the Hotel Pennsylvania. Hon. Carl Sherman, president, will present a survey of the Zionist position in Greater New York. Recommendations for “Organization Month” set by the Council for November will be made.
Louis Lipsky, President of the Zionist Organization of America, will discuss the Zionist political situation. Max Delphiner, founder of the first silk mill in Tel Aviv, will speak on the industrial possibilities of Palestine. Reports will be presented by Philip Wattenberg and Dr. A. J. Rongy, Chairman and Treasurer of the Beth Zion Committee.
Sixty-five million dollars has been spent for philanthropic purposes in New York City by the ninety-one institutions in the Federation for the Support of Jewish Philanthropic Societies during the ten years of the Federation’s existence, according to a statement prepared for the tenth anniversary campaign being conducted this fall. Of this amount $30,916,143 was supplied directly by the Federation, the balance coming from trust funds, legacies and other sources.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.