$5,400 Spent in Last Year for Student Scholarships
Dr. Judah L. Magnes, Chancellor of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, announced that the University spent the sum of $5,400 during the past year for student scholarships, states a report of the American Advisory Committee of the Hebrew University, of which Felix M. Warburg is chairman. Dr. Magnes also made public a list of scholarships available to students at the University. They include the Independent Order B’nai Brith of Canada, $250 annually; the Zionist Organization of Lithuania, two scholarships of $150 each; the Jewish Students of Victoria, Australia, $75 annually to be awarded to a student in philosophy; the Jewish Community of Frankfurt, $375; Dr. Chaim Weizman, $250 to be awarded to a student in chemistry; the Arthur Franklin Scholarship for Jewish History, $125 annually for seven years, beginning 1925; the Mosseri Prize in memory of L. Mosseri, a fund of $200, the income of which is to be awarded annually for Jewish history; the “Deborah” Prize, a fund of $3,000 established by James Rothschild, the income of which is to be awarded for Hebrew poetry; a fund of $750 established by the University Society, the income of which is to be awarded as a prize in honor of Dr. Magnes; a fund of $12,500 in memory of Jose Bensaude, to provide an annual scholarship, the recipient to be a Sephardic Jew.
The Students Organization of the University, which now has headquarters of its own in Jerusalem, including a mensa academica, has a loan fund from which it grants sums in amounts of $15 to $25 to needy students. Dr. Magnes announced that in addition to the scholarships and to the Students’ Loan Fund, loans had been granted by the Friedman-Mack Fund, from its capital of $10,000, to the amount of over $8,000, to aid needy students. The Friedman-Mack Fund was established by Edward Friedman of Lawrence, Long Island, in the name of Judge Julian W. Mack, on the occasion of the latter’s sixtieth birthday. Dr. Magnes stated further that students were being employed wherever possible on the buildings now under construction, and in connection with other work at the University.
Announcement was made that the Palestine Economic Corporation, of which Bernard Flexner of New York City is chairman, is ready to place a sum of money at the disposal of the University for the equipment of a Materials Testing Laboratory, to be established in connection with the Physics Institute, now under construction. L. Green, the honorary technical advisor of the University, Mr. Pudsey, head of the Department of Public Works of the Government, and Mr. Mohl, representing the Palestine Economic Corporation, compose the committee which has plans under way for this laboratory.
The first publication from the Hebrew University Press will be a “Quarterly Review of the Humanities,” of which Professor Epstein will be the editor. Dr. L. Sukenik, archaeologist for the University, also has a book in preparation, which will contain important material on the so-called “Third Wall” and the Galilean Synagogues.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.