After twenty years of tireless effort a group of women who saw the foundation of their work in a little basement store in this city viewed at last the dedication and opening of the new Hebrew Women’s Home for Children, at a cost of more than $100,000. The dedication exercises were attended by more than 2,000 men and women of the state.
The building, which was formally presented to Hartford as a home for 57 orphans, represented the completion of a program started by the fifty women in 1912. Since that time the parent organization has been joined by an organization of 1,800 members now known as the Hebrew Women’s Home for Children.
During the exercises last Sunday, although no call for contributions had been, a number of checks totaling several thousands of dollars were presented by members to Morris Older, president of the home.
The exercises were held in the auditorium of the new building. Rabbi Conrad Hoffman, Harry Cohen, Mr. Older, Rabbi Hurwitz. Rabbi Abraham J. Feldman, and Rabbi Morris Silverman were the speakers.
Mrs. H. B. Cion is president of the Parent Organization while Samuel H. Gross was chairman of the building committee. Mrs. Bertha Bauer is president of the auxiliary which assisted materially in the erection of the new structure.
The new home is situated on raised ground and more than 150 feet back from the street line. The building is spacious, separated into small bedrooms, each used as sleeping quarters for two, three and four children. Scientific lighting is provided to make the rooms bright. The kitchen is modern with automatic refrigeration. The library is large enough to seat sixty, and Hebrew classes and other instruction will be conducted there. The institution is non-sectarian.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.