25 Wounded in Jerusalem Bombing; 5 Jews Held As Suspects
Menu JTA Search

25 Wounded in Jerusalem Bombing; 5 Jews Held As Suspects

Download PDF for this date

Wounded Arabs at the Government Hospital failed this afternoon to identify two Jews who were held by the authorities on suspicion of having thrown a bomb early today near Jaffa Gate which injured 25 persons, nine of them seriously.

The suspects are Shabetai Mordechai and Jakob Isaac Levy, both Sephardic laborers.

Five Jews were detained by police after the incident, the Hebrew newspapers Davar and Haaretz report. The papers state they were held after Arabs had accused them of throwing the bomb.

Davar reports the bomb was thrown from an Arab club and was intended for passing Jews.

A Jewish boy was the first to report the bombing to the police. He said he saw an Arab wearing a fez throw the missile.

High Commissioner Sir Arthur Grenfell Wauchope, dressed in the uniform of a general, visited the Government hospital and heard accounts of the incident from the lips of some of the wounded Arabs.


Government forces finally routed Arab snipers after an all-night pitched battle at Lifta. The Arabs occupied trenches built by the Turks during the World War.

Three Arab policemen and a British soldier were wounded in the engagement. The rebels retreated to Lifta after ambushing five Jewish busses near Motza. Three of them were reported killed.

Giza Meizel, 25, a Palestinian salesgirl was seriously wounded in the attack on the busses. Four busses of the caravan escaped after the machine gun of its convoy jammed, but the fifth turned over in swerving sharply and became a target for Arabs who shot from both sides of the road.


A large fire in the Jewish commercial center of Jerusalem tonight caused damages estimated at $25,000. A lumber yard owned by Aron Nataniel, member of the executive of the World Maccabi Union, burned down completely. The blaze followed threatening letters sent by Arabs.

False rumors that Jewish immigration had been stopped spread in Jaffa. As a result crowds of Arabs organized street celebrations.

Nazi leaflets printed in Arabic were distributed at Acre charging the Palestine Government with being pro-Jewish.

Schmuel Hirschberg and Moshe Mizrahi, Jewish watchmen shot by Government forces in separate incidents, were in serious condition tonight, it was stated at Hadassah hospital in Tel Aviv. Israel Ben Yehuda, shot with Hirschberg, died Saturday.

Many bombings and considerable shooting during the night were reported by an official communique, which confirms the wounding of a British soldier during last night’s skirmish between soldiers and Arab snipers at Lifta. The rebels shot at the military from both sides of the road, the communique states.

Military and police patrols were fired on by snipers in various parts of the country, the official report said, including Hebron, Nablus and Jerusalem.

Demonstrations at Jaffa and Acre were dispersed with minor injuries and arrest of some of the demonstrators.

At Acre about 200 Moslems remained in the mosque all night, leaving when curfew was over at five in the morning.

About 800 trees were uprooted in a Jewish grove near Sarafend.

Seventeen Arabs were arrested and brought to Jerusalem following a search for arms in Lifta and Ein Karem. A large store of ammunition was found in the latter village.

Founding Funders

The digitization of the JTA Archive would not have been possible without the generous support of the following donors:
  • The Gottesman Fund
  • Righteous Persons Foundation
  • Charles H. Revson Foundation
  • Elisa Spungen Bildner and Robert Bildner, in honor of Norma Spungen
  • George S. Blumenthal
  • Grace and Scott Offen Charitable Fund