Hundreds of Hassidim of the Calever Rebbe, Rabbi Mendel Taub, braved wind and rain last night to sing and dance in a procession inaugurating the new Hassidic quarters in Rishon Le-Zion near here, built by the followers of the Rebbe. The new quarter include a synagogue built at a cost of 1,000,000 pounds ($33,000), a Yeshiva and some eighty apartments.
The procession, led by children carrying torches, and followed by Torah scrolls under a canopy, made its way to the new quarters to the accompaniment of the brass band of the fire brigade. Rabbi Taub, who is the sixth generation descendent of the rabbinic dynasty founded 180 years ago in the Hungarian town of Cale, spent the Second World War in a concentration camp. After the war he emigrated to Cleveland before settling in Israel.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.