Federations raise funds for French Jews, plan Paris trip


(JTA) — The Jewish Federations of North America announced a trip to Paris next month to support victims of the recent terror attacks there.

The trip, announced in a letter sent Wednesday by Jewish Federations board chair Michael Siegal, will take place in early February. Attendees plan to visit the Hyper Cacher kosher supermarket, the site of a hostage standoff this month in which four Jewish patrons were killed.

The delegation will meet the families of victims killed in the attacks, as well as with the editor of Charlie Hebdo, the satirical magazine that saw 12 people killed in a terrorist attack. The delegation will also meet officials from the French government and Jewish community.

In addition, federations are  raising money for a French Terror and Security Fund that will provide financial assistance to the families of the victims of the Charlie Hebdo and Hyper Cacher terror attacks. The fund will also contribute resources for increased aliyah to Israel and for heightened security at Jewish communal institutions in Paris.

World Jewry organizations will provide 20 percent of the Terror and Security Fund, with the French government, philanthropists and French Jewish communal institutions slated to provide the other 80 percent.

Recommended from JTA