Search JTA's historical archive dating back to 1923

Palestine Greets New Year Quietly As Govt. Maps War on Terrorists, New Raids in Jerusalem

January 2, 1946
See Original Daily Bulletin From This Date

Palestine authorities started the New York by mapping out plans for intensified action “to uproot terrorism in the country,” it was reported here today following a three-hour meeting yesterday of the High Commissioner and high government officials, which was attended by military commanders.

Although absolute quiet prevails throughout the country, the entire police forces, as well as military units, were still engaged today in conducting a huge manhunt for the headquarters of the Irgun Zvai Leumi end of the Stern Group – the two terrorist organizations to whom last week’s sabotage is attributed.

During a search this morning in the Yemin Moshe section of Jerusalem, 400 persons were rounded up. Seven were arrested and 270 detained for further questioning. Police alleged that a quantity of arms and explosives were found.

Yesterday, 500 persons between the ages of 16 and 50 were removed to a detention camp for questioning following raids by heavily armed troops on the Jewish quarters of Shaare Chosed, where it was also reported arms were discovered, and Rechavia.

The police said today that they believe that they have in custody two men suspected of taking part in the attack on Jerusalem C.I.D. headquarters last Thursday. They also announced that they have identified two of the 59 persons seized over the week-end at Ramath Gan as “well known terrorists.” All 59 are still held at the Latrun detention camp.


In their intensive efforts to trace the hiding places and possible accomplices of the persons who blasted police headquarters in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Jaffa, the police and the army are also looking for the first aid dressing stations which, it is believed, were prepared in advance of the attacks. Doctors and surgery staffs have been closely questioned about wounded man they might have treated, but so far without results.

The authorities believe that some of the wanted men are still within the curfew area in Jerusalem. All cars and passengers moving within the area are being clearly watched. There are patrols every 100 years, concealed machine-gun pasts with reinforced units, and mobile patrols headed by armored cars, playing their searchlights on the streets.

Telephone service of Jewish subscribers inside the curfew area in Jerusalem and some outside it, which had been out off since Friday, was resumed today. Even hospitals, maternity homes, doctors and newspapers had their telephone cut.

The Jewish Agency executive held a special meeting yesterday devoted to the present situation, while Isaac Ben Zvi, president of the Jewish National Council, conferred with High Commissioner Sir Alan Cunningham. Ben Zvi expressed the Jewish community’s condemnation of Thursday’s outrages and also discussed the curfew, the immigration situation and the Arab boycott of Palestine Jewish goods.

Recommended from JTA