Rabbi Tobias Horowitz of Rzeszow, vice-president of the Agudath Israel in Poland and member of the executive of the Union of Polish Rabbis, is in this country in the interest of the Orthodox girls’ schools in Poland, known as the Beth Jacob schools.
Prior to his arrival in the United States Rabbi Horowitz visited England where be succeeded in interesting Bernard Baron in the work of the schools.
The movement was initiated in Cracow in 1927 and has spread greatly. Today there are eighty-seven schools in as many towns with an enrollment of close to 11,000 girls. The schools are under the administration of the Keren Ha’ Torah with offices in Vienna, Warsaw and Cracow. Committees for the support of the movement were formed in many countries, including France, Holland, England, Germany and South Africa.
The purpose of Rabbi Horowitz’s visit to the United States is to raise a fund of $25,000 for the completion of a seminary for the training of women teachers for the schools, now being erected in Cracow.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.