Since news broke of Monday’s federal raid at the country’s largest kosher slaughterhouse, the Des Moines Register has literally owned the story. Their site is overflowing with useful stuff, like:
- This partial list of detainees, virtually every name Hispanic and held for misuse of social security numbers.
- News that the plant’s owners, the Rubashkin family of Brooklyn, admitted they hired workers illegally at their New York distribution center.
- Here’s a story about the anticipated economic impact of the arrests. Interesting aside: many of the workers in Postville rented housing from Gal Investments, which the story describes as “in an immediate pinch.” Check out their website – that house on the home page doesn’t look like Postville, does it?
- *This is the Register’s main page of coverage of Postville, with links to videos and photos too.
- A timeline of safety problems at the factory.
The Associated Press has a video report on raid.