The twelfth annual report of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Montreal and its constitutent societies, shows an increase in expenditures for welfare work in Montreal from $237,791 in 1927 to $272,357 in 1928.
A new structure, costing $160,000, was erected for the Montreal Hebrew Old People’s and Sheltering Home, to accomodate seventy-five inmates. During the past year, the Neighborhood House, a settlement house, was admitted as a constituent society of the Federation. The Family Welfare Departtion. The Family Welfare Department ment shows an increase of $4,479 in expenditure over 1927, making a total of $108,484 for the Department. This has been necessitated by the Federation taking over some forty additional families, in consequence of the closing down of the Relief Department of the Jewish Immigrant Aid Society. A grant of $2500 was made to the United Talmud Torahs, and subsidies were made to the Shawbridge Boys Farm and Training School for the care of Jewish inmates.
The President, Joseph Levinson, in his report, offered thanks to the Provincial Government for announcing a grant of $125,000 to rebuild the Mount Sinal Sanatorium for Tuberculars at Ste-Agathe. He also spoke of the bequest of $100,000 made by the late Sir Mortimer B. Davis.
Allan Bronfinan, the Chairman of the Executive Committee, drew attention to the need in the community of a Home for Incurables and appealed for increased financial support from subscribers in order to make this possible.
The Archive of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency includes articles published from 1923 to 2008. Archive stories reflect the journalistic standards and practices of the time they were published.