May 16, 2018 10:55am
This story is sponsored by the American Jewish Press Association. JERUSALEM — In 1903, American evangelist and Christian Zionist William E. Blackstone sent Theodor Herzl a personal Bible. It was a gift with a specific message. Blackstone had heard that at the Sixth Zionist Congress Herzl had proposed a territory in East Africa as a haven for…
May 2, 2018 2:25pm
This story is sponsored by Nefesh B’Nefesh. RAANANA, Israel — In August 2014, Dr. Morris Hartstein went on a trip to Gondar, Ethiopia, where thousands of Ethiopians seeking to immigrate to Israel live and wait while Israel considers their eligibility to make aliyah. On his second day there, Hartstein showed up for the afternoon mincha service and saw more…
October 4, 2017 11:40am
This story is sponsored by Nefesh B’Nefesh. JERUSALEM — Like many Israelis, David Ross starts his morning with a strong cup of Turkish coffee with cardamom. But then the rest of his day is all about tea — specifically the locally sourced herbal tea company he started after immigrating to Israel from the United States three years ago….
July 17, 2017 3:42pm
This story is sponsored by Nefesh B’Nefesh. TEL AVIV – Capt. Libby Weiss spent most of the summer of 2014 in a Hamas tunnel, and she wouldn’t have wanted to be anywhere else. Israel’s military captured the tunnel, which extended from Gaza into Israel near Kibbutz Ein Hashlosha, during Operation Protective Edge against Hamas in Gaza. As a…
October 30, 2011 2:18pm
A youth group adviser from California has brought a class-action suit against her employer, the Orthodox Union.
August 31, 2010 11:43pm
The character — a bright and attractive Jewish woman in her early 30s living in a hip neighborhood in downtown Toronto — resonates with many young Canadian Jews who see in her something of themselves. But the Jewish portrayal of Erica does have its critics.
- The Impossible Burger is now kosher
- Banned from marrying interfaith couples, Conservative rabbis are finding other ways to celebrate them
- What does Stacey Abrams’ primary win mean for Democrats and Israel?
- Philip Roth, enfant terrible turned peerless chronicler of American Jewish life, is dead at 85
- Jared Kushner’s fellow Jewish Harvard alumni attack him in notes ahead of their reunion
- Israeli jets hit Gaza targets in response to attack on military outpost
- Bernie Sanders announces Senate reelection bid
- Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano threatening crucial Israeli-owned power plant
- Bernard Lewis, a leading Middle Eastern and Oriental studies scholar, dies at 101
- New York teen to serve jail time for vandalizing Jewish cemetery