April 20, 2016 3:38pm
LOS ANGELES (JTA) — Can the essence of Passover fit into a box? Fans of Manischewitz and Streit’s will undoubtedly answer, “Yes, in a matzah box.” But a successful Kickstarter campaign called Hello Mazel aims to reinvent that box, promising a package filled with Passover-related “Jewish awesomeness” that will be delivered to your door (or…
March 13, 2016 1:41pm
LOS ANGELES (JTA) — Purim parties are just around the corner — as is the presidential election. This got me thinking: What does the holiday’s operative phrase, “ad lo yada,” “until one no longer knows,” really mean? Traditionally, this rabbinic license to party, derived from the Talmud, has been taken to mean one should drink until…
February 7, 2016 2:11pm
Maybe it’s romantic; perhaps it’s convenient. A writer explores why some Jewish couples get married on this traditionally Christian day of love.
January 19, 2016 4:46pm
The seven species enjoyed at a seder honoring the Jewish new year for the trees also provide a moving metaphor for strengthening community.
November 29, 2015 1:49pm
Celebrating the Festival of Lights is typically a communal activity — but a writer finds a deeper meaning in quiet contemplation of the menorah.
November 17, 2015 3:11pm
A writer reflects on tension, tradition and the importance of two varieties of stuffing on the Thanksgiving table.
October 25, 2015 3:00pm
A writer’s search for certifiably kosher Halloween candy is smoother — and tastier — than expected.
September 21, 2015 2:05pm
Worried about the fate of trees in his Los Angeles hometown, columnist Edmon J. Rodman wondered: Will the holiday’s joy dry up alongside much of California’s water supply?
September 13, 2015 12:38pm
There is no Torah mandate saying you need a Jewish calendar in your home, but try living a Jewish existence without one, columnist Edmon J. Rodman writes.
September 13, 2015 12:37pm
A High Holidays prayer book causes columnist Edmon J. Rodman to ponder whether he must look outside the usual range of things for which Jews are accustomed to taking responsibility.
Stay informed: JTA in your inbox
Jewish and Israel News in Your Inbox
- Rock legend Phil Lesh gathers musician friends for a Grateful Dead Passover
- As Jews flee Belgium, a seder marks a family exodus
- Actress Lea Michele discovers her Greek-Jewish roots
- Ex-mayor of London suspended from Labour for saying Hitler was Zionist
- Sides swap character attacks in trial over Bay Area’s Koret Foundation
- Palestinians riot as Jewish worshippers visit Joseph’s Tomb
- Bernie Sanders to lay off ‘hundreds’ of staffers
- Donald Trump: Obama is no friend of Israel
- After weeks of brickbats, Bernie Sanders offers Hillary Clinton a bouquet
- Establishment candidates win Dem Senate nods in Md., Pa.
- Trump sweeps 5 states, Clinton wins 4
- In Nevada, an open House seat, a Jewish front-runner and a Muslim candidate who feels dissed by his party