is JTA's senior writer and former managing editor. Follow him on Twitter at @urielheilman.
February 12, 2016 5:52pm
Jewish skiers now can find American mountains that serve kosher food, offer daily prayers and let you ski into a Kabbalat Shabbat service. Based on this reporter’s legwork, here are some destinations that Jews should consider checking out — even if just for the divine snow. Whenever possible: Ski Utah. Park City: After Vail Resorts bought Park City Mountain Resort and linked…
February 12, 2016 3:29pm
PARK CITY, Utah (JTA) – Laurent Masliah likes wine as much as the next Frenchman. But that’s not why he bought up every last bottle of kosher wine in the state of Utah and is desperately angling for more. Masliah is the general manager of Prime at Canyons, the nation’s only kosher slope-side restaurant. It’s located…
February 12, 2016 10:55am
PARK CITY, Utah (JTA) – It may be the most elevated Shabbat service in the country, and not just because of the spirited singing. Held in a rustic cabin in the woods off a ski slope at Deer Valley resort, the service is situated at about 8,800 feet above sea level, and it’s the nation’s…
February 11, 2016 6:26pm
(JTA) – In a landmark decision, Israel’s Supreme Court ruled that mikvahs in the country must open up to non-Orthodox conversion rites. Until now, Israeli mikvahs have denied access for conversion immersions to Reform and Conservative converts. Israel’s mikvahs are run by Israel’s Religious Services Ministry, which operates in lock-step with the Orthodox-dominated Israeli Rabbinate….
February 9, 2016 8:22pm
(JTA) – Bernie Sanders made history Tuesday night when he became the first Jewish candidate in U.S. history to win a presidential primary election. With more than 90 percent of precincts reporting, the Independent senator from Vermont trounced former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary 60-38 percent. Sanders, a secular Jew and self-described…
February 1, 2016 3:28pm
David Senter is a rarity: an Orthodox rabbi from a “black hat” background who left Orthodoxy and now occupies a Conservative pulpit.
February 1, 2016 3:25pm
The state, which is one of America’s oldest and whitest, has an estimated 10,000 Jews. Some longtime Jewish residents say they still feel like outsiders.
February 1, 2016 3:22pm
With more Independent voters than either registered Democrats or Republicans, the state’s presidential primaries tend to be unpredictable.
January 29, 2016 12:30pm
Filmmaker Shimon Dotan tells the story of the West Bank settlement enterprise through the eyes of its most radical supporters.
January 28, 2016 5:27pm
A new kosher hotel kitchen plus Disney’s prepackaged meals make visiting Orlando easier than ever for kosher consumers.
- Jewish cancer patient finds bone marrow donor following worldwide search, Kim Kardashian’s pitch
- Kirk Douglas to celebrate his 100th birthday in star-studded Beverly Hills bash
- 6 liberal Jewish groups to skip Conference of Presidents party at Trump’s DC hotel
- Burger King Israel introduces doughnut burger for Hanukkah
- Woman arrested for alleged death threats to parent of Jewish Sandy Hook massacre victim
- Israel’s Chief Rabbinate promises standards for conversion rabbis and to count Ivanka Trump as Jewish
- White supremacist, neo-Nazi posters hung at Emerson College
- This Jewish woman’s research may save millions of lives
- Jewish, progressive groups bring Congress 1M signatures opposing Trump’s Bannon appointment
- Netanyahu says Western Wall compromise is ‘going to take time’
- Billionaire philanthropist Paul Singer, one-time Trump opponent, attends Trump fundraiser