is JTA's former managing editor. He is now director of business development at 70 Faces Media. Follow him on Twitter at @urielheilman.
February 21, 2016 2:30pm
SALT LAKE CITY (JTA) – Phyllis Miller’s experience growing up in Southern California wasn’t much different from that of many American Jews. The product of an intermarriage — her mother wasn’t Jewish but later converted — Miller’s family attended synagogue occasionally, kept the kids home from school on the High Holidays and ate matzah on Passover….
February 12, 2016 5:52pm
Jewish skiers now can find American mountains that serve kosher food, offer daily prayers and let you ski into a Kabbalat Shabbat service. Based on this reporter’s legwork, here are some destinations that Jews should consider checking out — even if just for the divine snow. Whenever possible: Ski Utah. Park City: After Vail Resorts bought Park City Mountain Resort and linked…
February 12, 2016 3:29pm
PARK CITY, Utah (JTA) – Laurent Masliah likes wine as much as the next Frenchman. But that’s not why he bought up every last bottle of kosher wine in the state of Utah and is desperately angling for more. Masliah is the general manager of Prime at Canyons, the nation’s only kosher slope-side restaurant. It’s located…
February 12, 2016 10:55am
PARK CITY, Utah (JTA) – It may be the most elevated Shabbat service in the country, and not just because of the spirited singing. Held in a rustic cabin in the woods off a ski slope at Deer Valley resort, the service is situated at about 8,800 feet above sea level, and it’s the nation’s…
February 11, 2016 6:26pm
(JTA) – In a landmark decision, Israel’s Supreme Court ruled that mikvahs in the country must open up to non-Orthodox conversion rites. Until now, Israeli mikvahs have denied access for conversion immersions to Reform and Conservative converts. Israel’s mikvahs are run by Israel’s Religious Services Ministry, which operates in lock-step with the Orthodox-dominated Israeli Rabbinate….
February 9, 2016 8:22pm
(JTA) – Bernie Sanders made history Tuesday night when he became the first Jewish candidate in U.S. history to win a presidential primary election. With more than 90 percent of precincts reporting, the Independent senator from Vermont trounced former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary 60-38 percent. Sanders, a secular Jew and self-described…
February 1, 2016 3:28pm
David Senter is a rarity: an Orthodox rabbi from a “black hat” background who left Orthodoxy and now occupies a Conservative pulpit.
February 1, 2016 3:25pm
The state, which is one of America’s oldest and whitest, has an estimated 10,000 Jews. Some longtime Jewish residents say they still feel like outsiders.
February 1, 2016 3:22pm
With more Independent voters than either registered Democrats or Republicans, the state’s presidential primaries tend to be unpredictable.
January 29, 2016 12:30pm
Filmmaker Shimon Dotan tells the story of the West Bank settlement enterprise through the eyes of its most radical supporters.
- Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz made anti-Semitic, racists comments in private chat group
- ‘Our kids should be safe,’ father of Parkland victim Meadow Pollack says at her funeral
- Teacher Scott Beigel did not want to be remembered as a hero
Editor's ColumnHere’s why we report on the Jewish victims of larger tragedies
- New Jersey rabbi arrested for meeting teen prostitute
- Trump negotiators welcome Abbas’ recognition of Jerusalem as holy to Jews
- Orthodox school in Antwerp says employee wrong to instruct teachers not to teach evolution, reproduction
- Hosting BDS founder at European Parliament encourages anti-Semitism, Jewish leaders say
- These Jewish women say celebrating Purim in the #MeToo era is different
- Israel successfully tests Arrow-3 missile defense system
- US ambassador to Israel reportedly says evicting settlers ‘could lead to civil war’